Dodge and Mopar® have announced a variety of support programs for NHRA Sportsmen drag racers for the 2017 season.
Mopar Contingency Program
Dodge and Mopar®-powered drag racers in multiple NHRA Sportsman categories can once again capitalize on high-performance finishes through participation in the Mopar Contingency Program.
All Mopar-powered Sportsman racers, including Dodge Challenger Drag Pak competitors, are eligible for awards under the long-running program. Qualified vehicles containing specified Mopar parts that carry the Mopar Contingency decal can earn performance rewards.
Mopar Hemi® Challenge
The popular Mopar HEMI Challenge returns in 2017. This will be the 17th edition of the battle of the best NHRA SS/AH sportsman class competitors, all unfolding at Lucas Oil Raceway in Indianapolis during the NHRA U.S. Nationals.
The event features the classic Dodge and Plymouth factory muscle cars that contributed to the company’s legendary reputation and success at the drag strip. The 1968 Dodge Dart and Plymouth Barracuda “package cars,” factory-built for the strip, were precursors to the Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak vehicles that compete today in NHRA Stock Eliminator, Factory Stock Showdown and Super Stock.
Sportsman Appreciation Night
The Mopar brand will host grassroots racers at the annual Mopar Sportsman Appreciation Night during the U.S. Nationals. The event is a giant “thank you” celebration for Mopar and Dodge sportsmen racers, featuring food, drinks, tech seminars, Q&A sessions and multiple Mopar prize giveaways.
The Tom Hoover Sportsman Challenge will continue to recognize the outstanding Mopar Sportsman racer who accumulates the most points over a full season while competing in Stock or Super Stock Class racing. The award is named after legendary racer and engineer Tom Hoover, acknowledged as the father of the Gen II 426 HEMI engine.
In 2015, Kevin Helms, driving the Jeff Teuton-owned Dodge Challenger Drag Pak of Teuton-Morris-Helms, earned a Stock Eliminator Championship and also the Hoover Award. In 2016, Austin Williams won the Hoover Award for the third time in the last four years, having also won in 2013 and 2014.
For the 2017 National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) Series, Mopar will be supporting Mopar Sportsman teams through:
A Contingency Program Administered through NHRA
- Display the Mopar decal and be eligible for monetary awards. The contingency decal is available at the Mopar display during scheduled NHRA events.
- Contingency categories consist of:
- Drag Pak
- Mopar Valve Covers
- Mopar Intake Manifold
- Mopar Cylinder Heads
The Tom Hoover Excellence Award
- Awards a monetary bonus and custom trophy to the Mopar driver who amasses the most points in either Stock or Super Stock racing over the course of the season. This award is named in honor of Tom Hoover, Chrysler race engineer and legendary “Father of the Gen II HEMI.” The award consists of the Hoover Trophy and a $4,260 payment.
Hosting a Sportsman Appreciation Night the Thursday of the U.S. Nationals Race
- Includes product seminars, product announcements, prizes and Q & A sessions. All Mopar racers are invited to attend. In 2015, the grand prize was a new Gen II HEMI block along with numerous other race-related prizes. This event is a Mopar “thanks” and a salute to all of the dedicated Mopar racers from across the country. More details to come.
Recognizing Drag Pak National Records in Stock and Super Stock
- Monetary and plaque award
- $500 for a Drag Pak National Record
Recognizing Factory Shootout Wins
- Monetary and plaque award
- $3,000 overall win
Hosting the annual HEMI Challenge Race at the U.S. Nationals
- 2017 will be the 17th HEMI Challenge race at Indy and recognizes the special place for the 1968 HEMI Dart and Barracuda in Mopar and NHRA history. Each racer vies for a unique HEMI Challenge trophy consisting of an actual HEMI Cylinder Head, a custom jacket and $15,000 first place prize. Continuing from 2016, a limited edition, signed piece of art will be given to each team that qualifies.
Factory support engineers will be on-site at most NHRA National events.
A Mopar-hosted Block Party is scheduled on the Thursday prior to the Mopar Mile High Nationals and Reading Dodge Nationals races. Details TBA.
For questions, please contact Dale Aldo